Ideas and creative technology solutions to problems both green, envrionmental and otherwise. All my own, some more viable than others, best viewed with out great seriousness.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

On the Bus in L.A.

On the Bus in L.A.. Total Experience: Total Experience examines and comments on the emerging practice of experience design: the systematic product of experiences to alter individuals' and groups' perceptions, cognition, understanding, and action.

While I was working at GRTA(GA) I was told the latest metro buses ( second hand) cost about $750,000 = I was quite amazed. I calculated that for the same cost you could by more seats in stretched limousines.

We where looking for ways to encourage more public transit use in Atlanta and I playfully suggested that while no one it Atlanta would willingly get the bus ( if they could afford it ) everyone would be willing to take ( and share ) the limousines to work:-)

I also promoted access to the internet with a wireless Internet internally on the longer distance commute busses as a way of expanding the usage out to a larger community.

While financially you get more for you money (capital/pollution and running costs ) in stretched limousines, the big counter cost was in driver time. One thing GRTA did do was implement a minibus share system. A group of people could get a minibus and share the driving ( eliminating the driver cost). I still think it would have done better with shared limousines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home